Summer brings with it warmth and high humidity. The season also offers the opportunity for heat weary folks to escape to the mountains or beaches for a well deserved rest. In North Carolina, there are several beach destinations worth visiting; nine top sites are featured here.
1. The Outer Banks — Perhaps the most well known of all the beaches in the Carolinas, the Outer Banks offers much history as well as attractive beaches. You can visit the spot where the Wright Brothers first took flight in Kill Devil Hills as well as the first European settlement on Roanoke Island.
2. Bald Head Island — Got feet? You’ll need them here as no cars are allowed on the island. You can use an electric golf cart to get around, however.
3. Atlantic Beach — Located on the eastern end of the Bogue Banks this resort is part of the Crystal Coast. Historic Fort Macon State Park is a popular nearby attraction.
4. Figure Eight Island — Got money? You’ll need it to visit this private, exclusive resort.
5. Oak Island — Located in Brunswick County, below Wilmington, Oak Island is one the few south facing beaches along the east coast. Lots of golf courses in the area including at least one champion course.
6. Sunset Beach — Just three miles in length, Sunset Beach is the southern most of the Brunswick Island beaches. The only link to the mainland is a one lane pontoon bridge. Wow!
7. Carolina Beach — Located between the Cape Fear River and the Atlantic Ocean, Carolina Beach features shopping, a boardwalk, a state aquarium, and the Carolina Beach State Park.
8. Topsail Beach — If beachfront high rise developments turn you off, then this is the place for you as strict zoning laws rule the land. During the 1700s pirates roamed the nearby waters. No word on whether Blackbeard’s treasure has ever been found.
9. Wrightsville Beach — This busy beach is frequented by Raleigh area residents as it is the closest beach to the state capitol. Still, out of state visitors find it to be a favorite resort.
From the Virginia border to South Carolina, North Carolina’s beaches offer visitors much more than sand and ocean breezes. Pick one of these destinations and you will truly have plenty of fun in the sun!